Our History

 

Salem came into existence in 1946, meeting first in a small schoolhouse.  This became too small and the local mission board purchased a three-story building in Shelly in 1948.  We became an organized congregation in 1950.  In 1970, while it seems popular to remodel or build a new church building, we were not influenced by this trend but rather by several facts.  We were meeting in a building which was known by many in our community as the former cigar factory.  In 1970 we started plans for our present building and in 1971 it was completed. 

Our congregation is a multi-generation of families and friends.  Our worship is a mixture of contemporary and traditional music.  We are followers of Jesus; on a journey intentionally pursuing God.